Centennial Building 1940, Nakusp Museum

It came to the attention of Doreen Desrochers, who was working for B.C. Hydro, that there were many artifacts from this area that were either being left behind by the families that were being relocated due to the flooding of the Arrow Lakes in 1967, or were being destroyed, sold, or moved to other areas.

This matter was brought to the attention of the Nakusp Kinette organization, and a committee was formed to see if they could start a museum to house some of these valuable articles. The Village Council was approached to see if the basement of their building (The Centennial Building) could be used and to ask for help with the financing of the museum. They agreed to everything that was asked for and so a start was made.

There were work bees and the Kinsmen were asked to help with building shelves, wallpapering of the house area, etc. There were cleaning bees every year before opening of the museum for the summer. Rosemarie Johnson and Doreen took on the task of marking items – writing thank yous – keeping the books. It was a giant task but well worth the effort. You can see here items pertinent to this area only that would have been lost and many other artifacts that with a little work will be fantastic.

The Kinettes – especially Doreen and Rosemarie – have done Nakusp a tremendous favour by having the foresight to start this project. As the years went by, Bert Gardner and Harry Murphy were instrumental in keeping the museum going until the Arrow Lakes Historical Society was formed in 1984.

Museum Exterior

Advertisements